6.15.2008

Todd the Father

I wanted to write something insightful, grateful, and heart-felt about what a fantastic father you are. I wanted the words to leap off of the page and grip your heart – make you feel the way I do when I see you with our children. I wanted to. But I don’t know how.

I don’t know how to thank you for loving the girls as much as you do the boys, even though they are not your biological children.

I don’t know how to thank you for having so much patience with toddlers, when they seem to drive me right to the very edge of sanity.

I don’t know how to thank you for missing them when they are not with us.

I don’t know how to thank you for being in this 100% since the second you became a step-father and a father.

I don’t know how to thank you for helping me focus on the few important parts of parenting and letting all of the other meaningless stuff go.

I don’t know how to thank you for having them in every dream you have about our future.

I don’t know how to thank you for thinking a day playing at the park, eating goldfish and reading books is fun.

And I don’t know how to thank you for how perfect our life is.