2.08.2008

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.

What scares you? I mean, REALLY SCARES YOU? It seems like, as adults, very little scares us anymore. Sure – things like natural disasters, financial devastation, loss of loved ones, their safety – those are all things that sort of loom over-head, I suppose. But are there “things” equivalent to the Boogeyman of our childhood that still scare you in the world?


I remember a time a few years back when Todd and I were running at night. We were on a trail in Ft. Worth out by Bell Helicopter. It was dark, and we were in a remote area, covered by trees which didn’t allow for much light. I can honestly say that it was a bit scary for both of us. I cannot imagine how it would have felt alone, but I think it might have been terrifying. And I think it might have also been exhilarating at the same time.


Why does nothing seem to scare us as adults quite like it did when we were kids, and why do we try so hard to recapture that fear? We pay for horror films, for haunted houses. We WANT to have that feeling that sent us running for our parents protection when we were little. We read Stephen King. We tell ghost stories. We run in the woods. Why? What are we in search of? What are we testing? What are we proving?