5.11.2006

Success

Success

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

(which may or may not have been written by Ralph Waldo Emerson)



I am not sure what I really feel success is - what I could do that would make me feel successful. I have actually thought about this a lot, I am just not sure it can be boiled down to ONE thing.

I think that my poem would go something like this:

To do one thing each day that I am proud of.
To say "yes" to my children as often as possible.
To never yell when talking will accomplish the same thing.
To always understand the reasons behind the "no" I tell my kids.
To show my love for my family in my actions AND my words.
To find joy and humor in each day.
To never be satisfied with my current knowledge - to continue to learn as long as I am living.
To always push to be better.
To help my children define their own success...
This is to have succeeded.