7.22.2008

I just blamed my 5th grade teacher for my lack of interest in church.

I don’t like Star Trek. Or comic books. Or religion. Conventions, revivals and conferences make me very uncomfortable. I have been to a handful of these events focusing on different things, and they all leave me feeling as if I have been to Jonestown. I hate that false sense of belonging while participating, followed by the ultimate letdown experienced after leaving and returning to “real life”. I also hate crowds. And convention food. And all of the useless crap I find myself toting home – business cards I will never reference again, stress balls, too-big-shirts, water bottles, and more literature than I can shake a stick at. I loath thinking about who I will sit with, or talk to, or eat with in the evenings, and because of this I tend to hang out in my hotel room and watch overly priced pay-per-view movies while eating a $32.00 sandwich. I am sure this all points to some experience in my past – perhaps my mother’s foray into various cults, or perhaps I will just throw the blame my 5th grade teacher because she was so mean...