1.02.2008

The Ants Go Marching One By One

There are a lot of things on my mind that I wanted to get down, before I forget them.


---------

Zieggy is adjusting to life without Shiner in ways I never expected. He is now playful and noticeably more social. He was always a little stand-offish, although always sweet. He just didn’t tend to hang out with us much. Now that Shiner isn’t around, he is with us every moment he is able. It was very common before to find him hiding out in our library all alone. Now? Not so much. He has also started showing us a playful side I have not noticed. We have come to the conclusion that life is better both for us and our pet if there is only one dog in the family. I wish we had known this BEFORE we adopted Zieggy. Hindsight. It makes me feel...stupid.


We still miss Shiner.

---------


I turned 40 today. 40. I remember when my mother was 40 and she seemed old. I wonder if I seem old to my kids. I don’t think I will ask them.


---------


My husband and I talked about resolutions this week. It is all the rage around the first of the year, isn’t it? His goal this year is “enjoy the journey” – which goes right along with my “in the moment” resolution carried over from last year. We are always in a hurry to go somewhere, finish something, find the destination. It really seems like a better idea to simply enjoy the journey. I imagine this will make everything measurably more fun. It has been a whole two days and already things like having dinner with the boys or reading to them before bed are more fun. I am not focused on finishing dinner or getting them to sleep – simply focused on the activity right in front of me.


---------


“Papa used to say that doctors are like birds. You let one peck at you a little here and there and it don’t do too much damage. But if he keeps it up, he’ll eventually kill you. If you get a whole flock after you, they’ll peck you to death pretty quick. I just got tired of the peckin’ and came on home.” - Rivers Ebb by Jim Ainsworth


---------


I have no idea why I named this "The Ants Go Marching One By One" - for some reason it was stuck in my head. I am strange that way.