1.20.2005

Party at My House!

I am starting to feel pregnant a bit more, but really wish I could see the babies and know things are as they should be in there. I am approaching the end of my first trimester – now entering the time when life is supposed to be great. I should have more energy, sleep better, feel happy – all the wonderful parts of pregnancy. And to celebrate, I am having SURGERY.

Next Wednesday, at 12weeks, one day – I will have a cerclage put in to keep me from going into pre-term labor. They will sew my cervix shut in hopes that it behaves for at least 5 months. It really should be a blast! I keep thinking why I am doing this – when the risks include:

  • Premature contractions
  • Cervical dystocia (inability of the cervix to dilate normally in the course of labor)
  • Rupture of membranes
  • Cervical infection
  • Cervical laceration if labor happens before the cerclage is removed

But then I remember how my first daughter was 5 weeks early and my second was 11 ½ weeks early (at only 2 pounds), and I know I am doing the right thing. Want to come to a cerclage party? Ginger Ale and crackers are on me!