1.24.2005

Normal is as Normal Does

I am not feeling very spunky today. Come to think of it - I don't feel spunky any days. Pregnancy is a FULL TIME JOB. It amazes me that I have to get up and go to work and function in the real world - all the while feeling like I have been hit by a truck. How do people do it? How did I do it before? Oh yeah - I was on bedrest most of the time. All I had to do was cook a baby...

I had a rough night - cramping, backache, spotting, general icky feeling all over. It is not much better today, but all the Google searching has told me that cramping in the first trimester is 'normal' and 'to be expected' - they tell me that spotting with twins is 'normal' and 'to be expected' - I have read that backache is 'normal' and 'to be expected' - and I have heard from my doctor that I am 'normal' and all of this is 'to be expected' Do they make this shit up? There is not a symptom on earth that is NOT normal according to these doctors. Toes falling off? Normal. Head doing 180's? Normal. Bleeding a gallon a day? Normal - with twins. How crappy do I have to feel to get relief? Must be pretty darn crappy.

And - the suggestion for all of this? Drink a few large glasses of water and take it easy for a while. What the fuck? How does that work? Water is now the latest cure-all. Have a migrain? Drink a glass of water. Broken leg? No reason to go to the doctor - drink some water and rest a while...it will heal itself by tomorrow. After all - that is perfectly normal - if you are pregnant!