9.13.2009

Journal Entries From My Mom - Memories of a Mom

"Do you remember when I got so mad at you I ran away from home?" "No," I responded, "tell me more about it." "Well, when we were living in the 'Big House' and you would not let me have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, I got so mad I decided to run away from home. I remember packing my suitcase. I think you helped me. I also made a stack of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to take with us. 'Little Tom' came with me."


"Where did you go," I asked.

"Well, that was the problem" my 19 year old daughter laughed. "I was so upset because you might find out I didn't have anywhere to really go. We just walked around the block 4 or 5 times."

"I'm so glad you decided to come home" I confided. Remember when you and Shawn hid in the fireplace and got ashes all over yourselves and the living room?" I started reminiscing.

Who can ever foresee the pains of parenting? Who can ever weigh the value of those cherished memories? Oh to be able to live in the present with the ability to cherish the perfect present while we reminisce the perfect past.